STATEN ISLAND, NY – Restaurants across the island have reported an impressive number of cancellations for New Years Eve reservations. In one of his administration’s first initiatives, Borough President Vito J. Fossella aims to mitigate the latest financial blow to the food industry with the announcement of ‘New Years Eve Part II’.
It is scheduled for Saturday January 29. Later this week, a more formal announcement will be made on the subject.
So far, Fossella has engaged the Staten Island Chamber of Commerce in this new effort to revitalize the local restaurant scene.
Diners who take a photo of their table and food and tag @sibpfossella, @sichamber and the restaurant on Instagram will be entered to win various prizes.
“We are trying to let everyone heal from COVID and let everyone know that if you missed your New Years Eve you have a second chance,” said Joe Fauci of La Fontana in Oakwood and sister restaurant. La Fontana Sorellena in Annadale.
Fauci added: “The BP is already looking for small businesses. He really listens to us.
Indeed, in a recent press release, the BP office acknowledged the plight of restaurateurs with a summary of the experiences felt throughout the borough on December 31. an excessive ordering of food, a loss of wages for the workers and an overall loss of income for their establishment. “
Jack LiGreci of The Staaten in West Brighton said: “We usually have 300, so we had half of them on New Years Eve.”
Fauci saw similar numbers. He said, “Half canceled – and I think I was one of the best.”
Osteria Santina co-owner Rocco Berardi stepped in and said: “The exact number I don’t know, but we had a big party that we canceled. I couldn’t go because I was sick.
He added, “The restaurant tables became intimate gatherings, which was good.”
Fauci said, “We look forward to a happy and healthy New Year to come.”
Pamela Silvestri is Editor-in-Chief of Advance Food. She can be reached at [email protected].